Host: Institute of Population Health and Institute of Inflammation and Repair
Title: "Opening up clinical performance"
Speakers: Professor Ben Bridgewater, Institute of Inflammation and Repair and Dr Evan Kontopantelis, Institute of Population Health
Registration: via Eventbrite: http://mhsfacultyresearchseries25sept.eventbrite.co.uk/
(1) Title: “Creating transparency in healthcare outcomes”
Professor Ben Bridgewater, Institute of Inflammation and Repair
Ben Bridgewater is a consultant cardiac surgeon at the University Hospital of South Manchester and Honorary Professor in the Department of Translational Medicine. He leads the programme to collect, analyse and publish data on cardiac surgical outcomes in the UK and runs an active research programme which develops methodologies for analysis and applies the data to hypothesis testing. He is also the Chair of the European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery database committee. Since March 2013, Ben has been appointed as the Director of Outcomes Publication at the Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership, to deliver the publication of clinical outcomes for 9 surgical specialties and interventional cardiology on behalf of NHS England.
(2) Title: “Variation and financial incentives in primary care quality of care”
Dr Evan Kontopantelis, Institute of Population Health,
Evan Kontopantelis works with large-scale primary care databases (PCDs) to investigate important health care issues: the effect of monetary incentives on quality of care, predictors of cancer, cancer screening utilisation and care for people with severe mental illnesses. From a statistical perspective he is mainly interested in structured equation modelling, reliability analysis, simulations, bootstrapping, interrupted time series, meta-analysis and PCD validity research. He joined the University of Manchester in 2005 and has been involved in primary care, biostatistics and health informatics research since then. He is currently on a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Training Fellowship, until October 2013.
More information about the Faculty Research Series, and a full list of future dates: http://www.mhs.manchester.ac.uk/intranet/admingroups/research/Events/
About the Faculty Research Series:
- These are monthly events that are open to all staff and students from across the Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences and the University, offering an opportunity to celebrate research achievement and stimulate scientific interaction. Each month, one host School or Institute from the Faculty will pair with a different School or Institute to highlight and showcase similar topics from different perspectives.
- The 2013 series is being led by Professor David Eisner and administered from the Faculty Research Office.
- Held on Wednesday lunchtimes, each meeting lasts an hour, including two 20-25 minute presentations – one from a junior and one from a more senior member of Faculty staff.
- Each presentation will be followed by a short discussion.
- A buffet lunch will be available from 12.30 pm.
- Presentations begin: 1.00 pm.