Celebrating Statistics: Public Event for International Year of Statistics 2013
|Starts:||16:00 26 Nov 2013|
|Ends:||19:30 26 Nov 2013|
|What is it:||Outreach and enrichment activities|
|Organiser:||Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences|
|Who is it for:||Adults, Alumni, Current University students, General public, Post 16, Secondary schools, University staff|
Host: Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences
About the event:
2013 is the International Year of Statistics, a worldwide event supported by nearly 2,250 organizations!
You may be asking yourself, “Why celebrate statistics?” The short answer is because statistics have powerful and far-reaching effects on everyone, yet most people are unaware of their connection—from the foods they eat to the medicines they take—and how statistics improve their lives. You can read more at the Statistics2013 website: Statistics2013
Statisticians in Manchester are organising a public event on Tuesday 26th November 2013 to celebrate Statistics2013 and highlight the importance of statistics in our world.
The event will involve academics from across the University of Manchester (Centre for Biostatistics, Social Statistics and Mathematical Statistics). It is also being supported by the Royal Statistical Society Manchester local group.
It will run from 16:00 until 19:00, and feature talks from Professor David Hand OBE (Imperial College, Past President of the Royal Statistical Society), Dr Ian McHale (Director of Centre for Sports Business, University of Salford) and representatives from local groups as well as refreshments and a drinks reception.
The event is FREE and everyone is encouraged to attend.
The full programme is shown below:
- 16:00 - 16:15: Welcome and Introduction to the International Year of Statistics 2013,
- 16:15 - 16:30: Statistics at The University of Manchester
- 16:30 - 17:15: "Data, data, everywhere, but let’s just stop and think"
- 17:15 - 17:45: Tea/coffee and refreshments
- 17:45 - 18:30: “Using statistics to identify the best football team of all time”
- 18:30 - 19:30: Drinks reception
- Prof David Hand OBE, Imperial College London
- Dr Ian McHale, Director of Centre for Sports Business, University of Salford
- Prof Graham Dunn (Centre for Biostatistics)
- Prof Natalie Shlomo (Social Statistics)
- Dr Peter Foster (Statistics Group, Maths)
- Dr Richard Emsley, Centre for Biostatistics, The University of Manchester
Travel and Contact Information
Lecture Theatre A