Creative chaos and the art of doing: Learning from the Ladyfest DIY ethos
|Starts:||10:30 7 Nov 2015|
|Ends:||16:00 7 Nov 2015|
|What is it:||Workshop|
|Organiser:||School of Social Sciences|
|Who is it for:||Adults, Current University students, General public, Post 16, Secondary schools|
|Speaker:||Dr Susan O'Shea|
This FREE day workshop is part of the 2015 ESRC Festival of Social Science's celebrations in Manchester.
- Get creative
- Learn about DIY music events
- Plan your own festival
- Make your own zine and poster
- Discuss the role of gender in music participation
Creative outputs from the event will be on display from 9-14 November 2015 at the main exhibition site for the ESRC Festival of Social Sciences in Manchester.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
The event is open to all. However, we particularly welcome younger people (14-25) who identify as LGBTQ and/or BME. However, if you have a friend that would like to come along with you then they are very welcome. Just make sure that all guests have registered on Eventbrite as numbers are limited to 24 participants.
- Susan O'Shea is a Sociologist at the University of Manchester, a musician and a former Ladyfest organiser.
- Cherry Styles is an Artist, zine-maker and curator at the Salford Zine Library.
- Ingrid Francis. Ingrid has been reading and making zines since 2007. She writes the per-zine series Mythologising Me, and has contributed to the Chapess Zine. She's also behind Northwest Zinefest and is part of the Salford Zine Library team.
- Karis Campion is a PhD student in Sociology at the University of Manchester examining the narratives and identifications of mixed heritage people in periods of social unrest.
We will also be joined by a current Ladyfest Manchester 2015 organiser.
The venue is fully accessible. Please get in touch if you would like further information or assistance.
There is limited on street parking outside the venue, a public carpark nearby and it is located just off the busy Oxford Road bus corridor.
Yourself. Your friend. Your ideas.
Please bring old magazines, newspapers, photographs etc. Anything crafty to help you make your zine. Some material will be provided on the day.
Twitter (Susan O'Shea) - https://twitter.com/sosheasna
Facebook Group - http://bit.ly/ArtOfDoing
Register - http://bitly.com/CreativeChaos
Travel and Contact Information
Sidney Street Café
The Joyce Layland LGBT Centre
49-51 Sidney Street