Introduction to LaTeX
|Starts:||09:30 17 Nov 2014|
|Ends:||16:30 17 Nov 2014|
|What is it:||Workshop|
|Who is it for:||University staff, Current University students|
BOOKING WILL COMMENCE 5 NOVEMBER AT 9AM
LaTeX is a free and widely used program for creating elegant and professional-looking publishable documents. It is designed to meet the need for precision mathematical notation and diagrams, that arise in scientific and technical writing.
Although people often find it daunting at first, many find that using LaTeX helps them not only produce beautiful reports, but also helps them to structure their writing and achieve consistency of style and terminology. The aim of this workshop is to guide participants past that first hurdle, and give them the tools and techniques they need to explore the many possibilities of LaTeX.
The workshop will be structured around short tutorials punctuated with practical sessions. You will learn:
- How to set-up and structure a document, including adding a title, contents page, sections and bibliography.
- How to communicate using mathematical notation
- How to typeset professional-looking tables
- How to include external graphics, and create precision diagrams using TikZ
- How to manage references using Bibtex and Jabref
- We will also introduce presentations using Beamer and conference posters using BeamerPoster.
Travel and Contact Information