A training and development day for aspiring and recognised world-leading cancer scientists
Audience: Anyone engaged in or interested in cancer sciences, including staff and PGR researchers, nurses, clinician scientists and oncologists, and Allied Health Professionals from across the UK.
This training and development event is designed to provide all attendees with:
- The chance to hear from international, world-leading experts in cancer education and health informatics.
- Opportunities to attend workshops tailored to early career, mid-career and senior career stages.
- An overview of funding opportunities from Cancer Research UK.
- The opportunity to network with others working within the field of cancer sciences.
09:30 - Registration with refreshments provided
10:00 - Welcome - Professor Rob Bristow (Director, Manchester Cancer Research Centre) and Dr Catherine Heaven (Associate Director of Education, The Christie School of Oncology)
10:15 - Keynote Talk – Dr Bob Tillman (Director, Education, MD Anderson Cancer Center)
11:00 – Networking and coffee break
11:30 - Overview of training and development at Manchester - Professor Stephen Taylor (Leech Professor of Pharmacology & Head of Division of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester), Professor Douglas Corfield (Professor of Medical Sciences and MBPhD Director) and Professor Philip Quirke (Professor of Pathology, University of Leeds)
11:45 – Keynote Talk – Professor John Ainsworth (Professor of Health Informatics, University of Manchester)
12:30 – Networking lunch
13:30 – Workshops for early career, mid-career and senior researchers
· Early Career – Professor Stephen Taylor and Dr Christine Schmidt (BBSRC David Phillips Fellow and Dean's Prize Early Career Researcher, University of Manchester)
· Mid-Career and Senior - Dr Bob Tillman, Professor Andrew Renehan (Professor of Cancer Studies and Surgery, MCRC) and Professor Angeliki Malliri (Senior Group Leader, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute)
15:00 – Networking and coffee break
15:20– Five Minute Funders and New horizons in Clinical Academic Training – Sarah Lloyd (Senior Portfolio Developer, Wellcome Trust), Rachel Chown (Senior Research Programme Manager, Cancer Research UK) and Dr Karen Noble (Head of Research Careers, Cancer Research UK) + further funders TBC
16:00 - Event conclusion - Professor Rob Bristow
16:15 – Networking and drinks reception
17:00 – Close
This event is funded by the MAHSC Cancer Domain